The Gorkhali army entered the opened scarcely armed gates in 1806. This forced AN alliance between maharajah Sansar Chand and maharajah Ranjit Singh. owing to the insufficiency of the requirement among the fort when a protracted Gurkha-Sikh War and unable to obtain any, the Gurkhas left the Fort. The Fort remained with the Katochs till 1828 once Ranjit Singh annexed it when Sansar Chand's death. The fort was finally taken by Brits when the Sikh war of 1846. A British garrison occupied the fort till it absolutely was heavily broken in AN earthquake on four April 1905.The entrance to the fort is thru atiny low curtilage capsulated between 2 gates that were designed throughout the Sikh amount, as seems from AN inscription over the doorway. From here a protracted and slender passage leads up to the highest of the fort, through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza (gate), each attributed to nabob Saif Ali Khan, the primary Mughal Governor of Kangra. concerning five hundred feet from the outer gate the passage turns spherical at a awfully sharp angle and passes through the Jehangiri Darwaza.
The Darsani Darwaza, that is currently flanked by damaged statues of stream Goddesses Ganga and Yamuna gave access to a curtilage, on the side of that stood the shrines Lakshmi-Narayana Sitala and Ambika Hindu deity. In between these shrines could be a passage that leads up to the palace. it's one in every of the foremost stunning forts in Republic of India.The fort is true next to Kangra city. 32.1°N 76.27°E The fort stands on a steep rock in Purana Kangra (translates to recent Kangra) dominating the encompassing natural depression, designed strategically at the "sangam" confluence (places wherever 2 rivers meet) of Banganga and Majhi rivers. it's same that Kangra belongs to at least one United Nations agency owns the fort. Also almost about recent Kangra is that the famed Jayanti Mata temple on a hill high. The Temple was designed by the final of the Gorkha Army, Bada Kaji Amar Singh Thapa. conjointly near entrance could be a little depository that exhibits the history of Kangra fort.Adjoining the Fort is that the maharajah Sansar Chand Katoch depository pass the royal house of Kangra. The depository conjointly provides audio guides for the fort and therefore the depository and contains a eating place.